Sunday, January 18, 2009

Let Freedom Ring: Martin Luther King Jr. Day, 2009

As we are about to inaugurate our first African-American president, I find this speech especially moving.

"Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood."

As discouraged and disheartened as I have been these past long eight years, I am equally joyous and hopeful for the next four (or eight?). For the first time in years I am not ashamed to be an American.

For those with short attention spans, the "I Have a Dream" section begins at 12:28 .

For the full text, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn - what do YOU think?