Friday, March 20, 2009

Happiness is a Warm Microphone

Hi everyone. First, a big fat apology for my lack of posts. I'm learning the hard way (the only way I seem to learn lessons) that sustainablity is about more than lightbulbs and strawbales. I seem to have more balls in the air than I can juggle at one time; I've been taking turns ignoring one thing and then another. Not really the best plan; I often put myself last, and then come crashing down, exhausted.

So my new goal is a post or two a week, which I'm sure is all you have time to read anyway. And while I have your attention, please know I really appreciate that you are reading!

I am in Chicago for the International Home and Housewares Show, which begins Sunday. I am writing this from the 21st floor of the Merchandise Mart Holiday Inn - one can only sleep on friends' and relatives' couches so many times.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I am attending the Specialty Retail University. I attended last year and it literally changed my life - I learned SO MUCH, and met some amazing people. The fabulous woman who runs it, Joanne Stone-Geier, has become a friend and mentor. One of last year's presenters, Sue Reardon of The Growth Coach, has become a friend and my business coach, keeping me from freaking out as I launch the Mercantile. An architect who spoke last year, Joel Berman, sketched out a design for our store fixtures that was so perfect that we scrapped our old plan and implemented his immediately. I also had to opportunity to get to know Bill McLaughlin, the editor of Gourmet Insider Magazine.

All of this hobnobbing resulted in some exciting opportunities, two of which involve microphones, which as you know are on my Top Ten List of Favorite Things. On Monday I am hosting a noon seminar entitled "Keeping Your Bottom Line Green," and on Tuesday I am on a "Green Gourmet" panel moderated by Bill McLaughlin (if you're at the show, it's on Tuesday, March 24th, 9:30 a.m. in the Housewares Design Theaer, Level 3 Loby, Lakeside Center). Life is very, very good.

I've got to get some sleep - in order to get to Chicago from Dancing Rabbit I had to leave Rutledge at 4:30 a.m., catch a train in Quincy, Il. This got me here in time to get a haircut (actually, I had them all cut) and scope out the public transportation scene.

More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn - what do YOU think?