Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Math School I Attended

I don't really enjoy math. Perhaps if I were in school today, where girls are encouraged to be good in math, it might be different. But I came of age in the innovative 60's in California, and was part of several experimental programs, including the very dreadful "new math."

I went on to flunk high school algebra twice - I just did not understand how, if "Y" could be anything, one came up with the correct answers. And "X" plus "Y"? What was "X"? What was "Y"? It was just too nebulous, surreal, and annoying for me. It was as if Salvador Dali had created a system of thinking; one which made no sense and gave one a stomach ache.

This is one of the reasons I find it very amusing to be in business. I love the creative aspects, but the actual business-y stuff? I'm dreadful to the point of hysteria. I take great comfort in my BFFs Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. Lou's arguments make perfect sense to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn - what do YOU think?